Sunday, September 4, 2011

Life Is Good

Sometimes it's good to contemplate the little things in life that make every day a blessing.  So today I dedicate the blog to reasons that life is, indeed, good. 

Reason #1: Cassie-cat.  Cassie was my first "real" pet when I got out on my own. As with most cats, her attitude towards us humans is generally to ignore us unless she either wants something, or else we disturb her peace.  She truly "talks" to us, meowing in different tones to express things like "hello", "feed me", "let me out" and "I'm bor-red!"  


She likes to sleep in the corner behind or under the kitchen table, which doesn't look too comfortable to me, but what do I know? 





Sometimes she just takes a moment out to make a pretty picture for me, like as she watched the rain outside the window the other day. (Which reminds me, rain is on my list of things that make life good, but I don't have any pictures of it!)


She loves going out on the deck to sun herself, and has gotten a little full of herself now, sitting by the back door and demanding to be let out. Silly cat. 


Reason #2: Ember-dog. I don't think I've introduced Ember yet.  She is our "baby", our sweet, cute, hyper, crazy Aussie-doodle.  She has this thing about watching her girly figure, so we often have to encourage her to eat.  Then she burns off all the calories with a rigorous workout consisting mostly of chasing the ball and the cat in turn. 


She also talks to us, in barks, grumbles, and growls.  And the occasional howl, especially when she thinks she's all alone in the back yard and an ambulance goes by.  That howl is creepy, but in general she's just funny.  She can "speak" (bark!) and "talk" (grumble) on command, and often when she stretches she lets out unique sound that really doesn't even have a name.  




 Her absolute favorite pastime is playing fetch, which she prefers to eating, drinking, sleeping...you name it.  She carries her ball, following me around the house until I pause for 10 seconds.  She then drops the ball at my feet and looks down at the ball, up at me, down at the ball again.  If I don't throw the ball within 20 seconds, she picks it up again and drops it, plop! at my feet again.  And again... and again... and...




Overall, she gets away with almost anything, because she knows how to give the perfect "puppy-dog eyes" look.  Though she does get sent to "time out" when she becomes too terribly disobedient.  Or tries to eat Cassie.



Reason #3: Flowers.  Who doesn't love beautiful blossoms?  (Especially when they're on sale!!) Roses are lovely, though my favorites are alstroemeria, as they look cool, smell sweet, and last for weeks


Reason #4: The Perfect Pie. Though I usually focus on cakes, the other day dear hubby desired a blueberry pie.  I love making lattice-tops, so I agreed, and the result was pretty good if I do say so myself. Golden brown crust, bubbly blueberry filling, and a nice flavor to round it all out.  




Reason #5: A sunrise that should be in a magazine.  The other morning before work the sky was just glowing.  I love colorful sunrises (and sunsets!).  One more reason to enjoy the world we live in!!











1 comment: